Sunday, September 23

Supper on Sunday - Beef Bourguignonne




When the season changes to autumn I begin to crave steaming bowls of soup and hearty stews, topped off with a glass of red wine. Growing up my mom would make beef stew and chicken and dumplings when the first chill of fall was in the air. Of course in Houston it might be November at best, but I always loved a bowl of my mom's stew. Living in Scotland I don't have to wait until late in the year, autumn has officially arrived. Today I am making a delicious pot of Beef Bourguignonne. Enjoy.

2 tablespoons olive oil
6 ounces bacon, cut into thin strips
3 pounds of beef cut into cubes
16 ounces baby carrots
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups good Pinot Noir or burgundy wine
2 cups beef stock or broth
1 bouquet garni
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat the oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until brown.

Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the beef in batches and cook until brown. Remove and set aside. Put carrots and chopped onions in the pot and cook until onions are caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for several minutes.

Return the beef and bacon to the pot. Sprinkle on the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the wine, enough of the beef stock to cover, the bouquet garni, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and let it simmer gently for 3 hours.

About 30 minutes before serving add the mushrooms and parsley.

8 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Hi Ronda! Sounds delish!
My favorite beef bourguignonne recipe is from the Barefoot Contessa. Seeing that it's in the upper 80s here I'll have to wait a while to make it :)

ALL THE BEST said...

I'll have to try that one Jennifer. Glad you are back!!

Pigtown*Design said...

Still pretty warm here. I did buy a wool dress yesterday though.

Unknown said...

Can I come to dinner?

ALL THE BEST said...

You're welcome anytime!

ALL THE BEST said...

My sister-in-law in PA says it's still warm there too Fairfax.

Unknown said...

Thanks for including the recipe - sounds deliciouses!

Suzy said...

Rhonda, it looks and sounds delicious! I don't get to indulge my cravings of hearty stew too often, its jut too warm year-round in HK!