Sunday, July 26

Soup on Sunday: Chilled Avocado + Cucumber

I have a huge weakness for avocados, especially in the summer. Normally I resort to salads in the warmer months, but 100+ temperatures prompted me to experiment in the kitchen yesterday. The result: a yummy and refreshing soup.

2 - 3 ripe large California avocados
4 medium cucumbers
4 scallions
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 - 8 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
juice of one lemon or lime
32 oz Nonfat Plain Organic Yogurt
Tabasco to taste
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup cold water

Peel, seed and roughly chop cucumbers. Peel, remove pit and quarter avocados. Cut scallions into large pieces. In a blender purée all ingredients until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Add more water or lemon juice if needed.

Serve soup garnished with coriander. Lump crab, if available, would be super yummy! Chill for at least 2 hours.

Serves 6 - 8

11 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

Thanks for this one two of my fav veggies!
Leslie

Rebecca Corvese said...

Wow Ronda! You came up with this on your own? I am so not creative like that in the kitchen. I love to cook and bake and can put out some pretty good darn meals, but don't have the insight to put together a yummy dish like this! Thanks!

Kimberly said...

This sounds terrific! We love avacados, and chilled cucumber soup is one of our favorites. I'll try it this week. It's hot here in Texas too!!! Try to stay cool. xxx kim

Kalee said...

This recipe sounds wonderful, I must give it a try!

Shani said...

I loooove avocado soup. It's such a great treat during the summer! I'll have to give this one a try!

Tina said...

Definitely making this before week's end. Thank you so much!

Kelsey B. said...

This looks delicious, a refreshing break from the summer heat!

Southern Aspirations said...

this sounds great! I adore avocados, too. THis is like the perfect excuse to eat them. Sounds delish!

Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

This sounds absolutely divine! I have been known to eat three avocados in one sitting...so this is right up my alley :) Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will definitely try it!!!

xoxo Crystal

Unknown said...

Ronda, i just found your blog. Thanks for sharing all your journies and interviews, and this sweet little recipe. I live in California and we love our avos out here too. Im going to try the nonfat yougurt. That sounds yummy.

Ashley said...

I just made it and it was amazing! I'm going to add it to my FaceBook page - I know so many people who will love it. Thanks.

PS: I did make it with the crab - so good!