Sunday, February 28

Soup on Sunday: Victory Amory's Creamy Garlic


A few basic and simple ingredients are all that it takes to make this heart-warming soup from hostess extraordinaire Victory Amory. Day old bread, garlic, broth and a touch of cream combine to create a velvet-like soup perfect to end a long winter’s day.

1 head of garlic, peeled
2 quarts of chicken broth
1 loaf of white country bread, crusts removed and diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and fresh ground pepper

In a small pan filled with boiling water, blanch the garlic for a few minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and repeat. This step removes the pungency of the garlic leaving all its sweet aromatic properties.

In a stockpot, combine the chicken broth and garlic. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the garlic is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the bread and bring to a boil. Add the cream and stir until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. In batches, purée the soup in the blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return to a clean stockpot to keep warm.

Makes 6 cups

9 comments:

Kelly Green said...

Sounds delicious and very simple! Thank you - I will give this soup a try.....KG

Kelly Green said...

Sounds delicious and very simple! Thank you - I will give this soup a try.....KG

La Petite Gallery said...

Sounds like an onion soup I had at Diamond Jims in New orleans, Like velvet. Gotta try this. Thanks,
have a great Sunday,
yvonne

Living It At Home said...

Oh my! I love garlic... I will have to try this soup. My hubby says that I overdue it with garlic when I am cooking because I love it so much. Thanks for this!

~jamilyn

HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

Sounds delicious-leave it to Victoria to create a yummy and easy soup! Have a great weekend
best, Barbara

Renée Finberg said...

R,
my mom loves all your recipes.
i have already been informed that i will be eating this one!

xx

pve design said...

Oh my word, so much flavor from such simple indgredients.
pve

Newell Turner said...

Victoria's food is always delicious. And the tablesettings are perfect!

Lola Lobato said...

Simple & Great especially for those lazy sundays!