Sunday, February 8

Soup on Sunday: Salmon Chowder


I have salmon that I need to use today and have been struggling to find a stew or chowder recipe that strikes my fancy. I’ve cobbled a few together and came up with this version. I will be making it later today and will let you know my thoughts. I would love for you all to share your favorite soup recipes with me. You can send them to allthebestblog@gmail.com. If I use your recipe on All the Best, I will of course give you full credit. Likewise, feel free to share any stories or personal insights.

1/2 pound potatoes, baked, peeled and cut into thick cubes
3 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup yellow corn (fresh or frozen)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
3 cups whole milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
4 large salmon fillets, skin discarded and fish cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Garnish: chopped fresh chives

Bake potatoes, cool and peel. Cut baked potatoes into cubes and set aside. Melt butter in a stockpot over moderate heat and sauté onions, garlic and shallots until translucent. Add corn, thyme, bay leaf, stirring 1 -2 minutes. Add milk and cream and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low. Add potatoes, salmon, salt, and pepper and cook, gently stirring occasionally, until salmon is just cooked through and begins to break up as you stir, 5 to 8 minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving and garnish with chives.
Serves 4

flckr photo

6 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

I just spent the morning puttering around the kitchen and listening to the Wales/Scotland rugby game.

ALL THE BEST said...

Winner?

Michelle said...

Mmmm.. this sounds great for a Feb. day...I'm off to the freezer to take out some salmon.

Thanks!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Sounds like a good one. We love salmon I'll give it a try.

I recently posted my recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Corn Soup on my blog. Stop on over and give it a look. It's very popular in this area.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

What a beautiful photo -- I think I could eat this soup every day of my life!

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

What a beautiful photo -- I think I could eat this soup every day of my life!