Thursday, March 26

Amanda Nisbet

It probably comes as no surprise that I have a list as long as my arm with all the names that I would like to profile on All the Best. Amanda Nisbet’s name has been at the top of my list for a while now, so I was thrilled when Tobi Fairley recently introduced us to one another.

I have long been a fan of her colorful approach to design, and the beautiful palettes of citrine, jasper and amethysts that infuse her Manhattan home. There is no mistaking her inimitable approach to both life and design. I especially love that Amanda is undeterred by rules, yet she masterfully brings a playful and energetic approach to traditional interiors. As Katharine Hepburn once commented, "If you follow all the rules, you miss all the fun." And, while Amanda may not play by a prescribed set of design rules, she always delivers on elegance and comfort.

Amanda’s work has been published in Elle Decor, House and Garden,House Beautiful, O at Home, Town and Country, Quest, Traditional Home, Home, New York Spaces, New York Home, Hamptons, The New York Times and The Washington Post. An impressive resume, but Amanda takes great pride in keeping both her company and number of projects small to afford personal commitment to each project.

How would you describe your personal style?
My style is based in the traditional vernacular to which I have infused distinct colour combinations, clean lines and most importantly humour and whimsy.

What inspires your creativity and designs
?
I am forever inspired by my friends, children, fashion, nature and the world around me each day.

Who would you most like to collaborate with on a project?
Jeff Koons. I love the exhibition he did at Versailles. Wouldn’t it be fabulous to design a house with him?

Who are your style icons?
Tony Duquette, Oliver Messel, Albert Hadley, my mother, my grandmother, my sister and my father.


What is your most prized possession?
I know that our children are not our possessions, but my children are what I love most in this world.

What is the one thing in life you cannot live without?
Laughter and kindness.

What is your favorite luxury in life?
Peonies in abundance, perfume, really strong coffee, great music, but most of all a beautiful and soulful home. I am so happy in my home. I’m a bit of a homebody.

What is your idea of earthly happiness
?
Being with my friends and family at home.

Past or present who has most influenced your direction in life?
My parents and my sister.

Who would you most like to meet and how would you spend the day?
I like to meet all sorts of people. I am fascinated by what makes people tick. I love to be with people who appreciate and have a zest for life. In my opinion, to spend the day with someone who is inquisitive, thirsty for knowledge and has a good sense of humour is a day well spent.

What books are currently on your bedside table?
To the One I Love Best, Episodes from the Life of Lady Mendl (Elsie de Wolfe) by Ludwig Bemelmans; Billy Baldwin, an autobiography; Inspiration, Your Ultimate Calling by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

What are your favorite cities?
New York for its vibrancy and inclusiveness and Florence for its architecture, history and approachability.

Profile by Ronda Carman

15 comments:

Kwana said...

Wonderful profile. Love her style. That green room is to die for.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thank you! I LOVE that shade of green!

Karena said...

Great stlye, Amanda has an intuitive sense of color. I adore the amythyst bedroom and it's art!

pve design said...

A girl after my own homebody heart!
There truly is no place like home, especially these days! That green room is awesome, love to know the paint and the color and the finish! Love it!

Pretty Lovely said...

I really enjoy your interview questions.

Great insight.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thank you Sam!

Me too Patricia, I am a homebody as well! NO place like home!!!

Velvet and Linen said...

I really enjoyed this interview.
Amanda is truly gifted, and her answers to your questions gave us an insight into her generous spirit.
Thank you for sharing.

xo
Brooke

Renée Finberg said...

what a TALENT !!!!

her green walls , are the same i have in my bedroom.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I love Amanda's work. She is one of my favorites. Great interview! So nice that Tobi was able to introduce you to her.

Unknown said...

Those green walls are so inviting. Great job. Enjoy your posts very much.
Happy Twirls,
Libby

Laura said...

What on earth are those fabulous glass panes above her bed?!

Anonymous said...

Amanda is a beautiful as the interiors she creates.

Tobi Fairley said...

I am so glad for you to feature my sweet friend Amanda! She is genuinely as kind and unassuming as she seems in this interview. And what an amazing talent! I am glad for your readers to know her as I do! Thanks for the feature! Ronda, You, Amanda and I are kindred spirits. Isn't it interesting that we could all come together in the blogosphere!Hopefully we can all meet for drinks in NYC soon! xoxo Tobi

annechovie said...

I so enjoyed this profile of Amanda, Ronda. I very much admire her style and can relate to being a homebody and so many of her answers. Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

jen@bellavista-LV said...

Thanks Ronda for sharing your interview.
Love the room Photo with the Red almps and the piollows with the pick red.. Love the white hutch in the background.
Who took the photo?