Sunday, May 4

Brad Mehldau


I am huge fan of jazz and a serious devotee of Bill Evans, but had little knowledge (read no knowledge) of pianist Brad Mehldau until my husband picked up the first two volumes of Mehldau's Art of the Trio recordings yesterday. The Art of the Trio, Vol. 1 and The Art of the Trio, Vol. 2: Live at the Village Vanguard are both spellbinding.


Where in the world have I been for the past 10 years? I cannot believe that I am only now discovering the brilliance of the trio. For the past 24 hours we have played the CDs non-stop. The rapport and sublime lyricism combined with sensitivity and true skill will certainly precipitate an awestruck state—at least I find this to be my experience.


The three musicians feed off each other with delightful precision. I'm eager to explore the rest of his work. Perhaps it would be best to experience the music live. It just so happens that Brad will be playing solo at the Cité de la Musique in Paris on December 6th & 7th—sounds like the perfect excuse to once again visit the City of Light.

In addition to his musical talent Brad has written liner notes for several of his own albums, other musicians and a few magazine articles. It’s well worth a visit to Brad’s website as it features samples of his music, poetry and writing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will check it out right away. Thanks for the tip. I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Ronda I just love your descriptive writing! Yes, you MUST go to Paris for this concert!! How much fun would that be? Thanks for the introduction. Off to listen now...

ALL THE BEST said...

Thank you Bobbie and Loyal Reader. Hope you love it as much as I do.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Thanks for the head's up. Bill Evans' "Live at the Village Vanguard" is on permanent rotation in the CD player. Sounds like I'll have to snap these up too!

Jazz? Paris? What's not to love?

Mary-Laure said...

Ah, yes, I love Brad too! I'm a jazz fan.
I didn't know he would be playing in Paris. Let me know if you need help buying the tickets...

ALL THE BEST said...

Mary-Laure it would be so much fun if we could go together!!! I'll keep you posted!