Sunday, September 21

Soup on Sunday: Beer Cheddar Soup


I have been making this soup for years and it always gets rave reviews. This also happens to be my son's favorite soup. In fact, I am making it for him today. This soup is NOT low fat, BUT it is delicious! Enjoy.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 yellow onions, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 small carrots, finely chopped
4 - 6 small potatoes, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
12 ounces dark beer
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart vegetable stock
1 quart milk
I pound grated sharp Cheddar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add celery, carrots and potatoes cook 15 - 20 minutes. Increase heat to moderate, add beer and simmer until almost evaporated.

Stirring constantly, add the flour and salt cook for 3 minutes; the mixture will clump. Still stirring constantly, add the broth slowly and cook until smooth . Keep stirring, slowly add the milk. Bring to low boil and reduce heat, simmer about 5 minutes. Add the Cheddar and pepper, whisking constantly until smooth.

Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with additional grated Cheddar and baguette slices.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I love beer cheese soup!

Anonymous said...

Ronda, you are a lifesaver! We're organizing a birthday lunch/Dallas Cowboy watching party for next week, and I was planning on making a soup. I have a recipe for Beer Cheese Soup, but now that I see this, I'm throwing mine away. This will be great! Thank a bunch!

ALL THE BEST said...

Hi Halcyon! I am so pleased!!! Have fun and enjoy the soup!!

Brilliant Asylum said...

My mouth is watering as I read this recipe. Beer and cheese? My two favorite things.

pve design said...

I ask, "How many miles doth one have to run after indulging in this lovely hearty soup" - oh cheese...
and beer. Looks perfect for a party!

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing! As an "Ike" survivor, 8 days without power and now home...I am reveling in it. Fall, soup and at home. This recipe sound delish and it's on my table tonight!

Joyce said...

Hi Ronda,

This is my first visit. Patricia at pve design mentioned your blog when I mentioned a beer, apple, cheese and potato soup I make. I will have to try yours too- it sounds yum...
I love your blog so much I have to make it one of favorites!!

la la Lovely said...

This sounds so good..I'm def going to try this recipe. Sounds perfect for fall! Thanks for sharing!

katiedid said...

My Girls are going to LOVE this! I think I have all of the everything I need to make it at home right now. Dinner tonight!

Anonymous said...

i love to cook and make all sorts of recipes, but i am inept at estimating portions...how many would this recipe serve??

ALL THE BEST said...

It's serves 4 - 6