Friday, November 7

Profile: James Andrew

Over the past few weeks I have become e-friends with the fabulous James Andrew. Many of you may remember his wonderful apartment in Elle Decor a few years ago, and his recent profile on the popular feature 'What is in Their Library' on the stylish blog The Peak of Chic. James and I had the chance to catch up by phone earlier in the week and have made a date to have drinks when my husband, son and I are in New York for Thanksgiving. He truly is a captivating and gifted person.

Growing up in Rhode Island, James became fascinated by the extravagant beauty of the Newport summer cottages, a fascination that ignited a lifelong obsession with interior design and living a stylish life. During the 1970’s a copy of his mother’s Vogue captured his heart and imagination, namely the innovation of Parish-Hadley. “I knew then that I wanted to be an interior designer. I was completely enthralled by the beautiful interiors.”

Yet like so many, he lost track of his dreams, opting for the more conventional road of banking and commodities trading. Unhappy with his decision, he gave up the world of finance and went to work for Ralph Lauren's Home Collection. James remained with Ralph Lauren for eight years.


As providence would have it, his boyhood idol, Albert Hadley, invited him to join Parish-Hadley in New York. After two years of working along side the master at Parish-Hadley, he founded his own design house, James Andrew Interior Design, Inc. Mr. Hadley continues to be one of his most valued friends and confidants.

In addition to interior design, James is passionate about fashion and has recently launched a new website, What is James Wearing, where he shares his ideas on personal style and fashion. What I admire most about James is that he has a very clear idea of who is and how we wants to present himself to the world. I hope you enjoy his new site as much as I do.


How would you describe your own personal style?
Elegant, contemporary and eclectic.

What inspires your creativity and designs?
My creativity and designs are constantly inspired by all that I see everyday, from a walk down a NYC side walk to a stroll through the streets of Cap D'antibes. And of course, shopping, travel, art, fashion, books and magazines.

What is your most prized possession?
A pair of Louis XVI chairs that were given to me by the legendary interior designer Albert Hadley.

Who are your style icons?
My list of style icons is quite long, Albert Hadley, David Hicks, Billy Baldwin, Cary Grant, Tom Ford, Gianni Agnelli, The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Charles de Beistegui, the firm ‘Jansen’, Nancy Lancaster, Frances Elkins, Dorothy Draper and the list goes on.....


Who would you most like to collaborate with on a project?
Our new president-elect and Mrs. Obama. I would love to decorate the White House. I would remain true to the historical decoration, but would add contemporary art and furniture by American artists. I would like for it to be more reflective of who we are as a country today. Would you like to start a campaign for me? :-)

What books are currently on your bedside table?
Money and the Law of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks; Harmonic Wealth by James Arthur Ray; books on the power of positive thinking; Mlinaric on Decoration

What is your favorite luxury in life?
Time, Dom Perignon Rose Champagne and flying in a client's plane.

Past or present what designers have most influenced your style?
Albert Hadley, David Hicks, Billy Baldwin, Peter Marino, Jean Michel Frank, Paul Dupre Lafon.

Profile by Ronda Carman

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have worked for Mr. Hadley and to have him as a friend and confidant. Great profile!

Visual Vamp said...

What a cool BBF to have!!!
And I hope he really puts himself forward to the Obamas for the WHite House revamp. It would be nice to have it young and stylish again.
xo xo

ALL THE BEST said...

Isn't that wonderful Anne! I mean, how cool!!!

ALL THE BEST said...

VV I too hope that he puts himself forward. Not only is James talented, but he has such a positive outlook on life and the world!

Anonymous said...

I think I have a new design/fashion crush!

Karena said...

You do the best interviews Ronda!
Super talented man!

Sabina said...

Great interview!!

katiedid said...

What a treat to get to know this talented designer. I hope you fill us in on your coktail evening when you get together. I love his style!

Suzy said...

So stylish! I remember his apartment featured in Elle Decor, I still think its as fabulous now as it was then.

Anonymous said...

James inspired me to begin blogging myself. He's really a fantastic interior designer and person! Lovely interview