Sunday, June 21

Happy Father's Day+ Salad on Sunday


Happy Father’s Day to my wonderful father and husband. Two men whom I adore and have profoundly shaped my life. I owe much to my father. He is one of those rare people who is curious of mind, quietly self-confidence, can bring people together from all walks of life and possesses amazing negotiation skills.

For Mother’s Day I posted a salad recipe for my mom and stated that I would have made it for us to share had we been together that day. I thought that I would do the same for my dad. The good news is we leave for a 6-week trip to the States next week. I promise to make dinner for both my mother and father very soon.

Arugula Salad with Manchego, Apples, and Caramelized Walnuts


1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup walnut oil
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar

8 cups arugula
2 Fuji apples, unpeeled, cored, thinly sliced
6 ounces Spanish Manchego cheese, shaved
1 1/2 cups pitted dates, sliced
1 cup Caramelized Walnuts
4 large shallots, minced

Boil balsamic vinegar in small saucepan over medium-high heat until syrupy and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes.

Whisk oil and Champagne vinegar in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature. Rewarm balsamic syrup before using. Rewhisk vinaigrette before using.)

Toss arugula, apples, half of cheese, dates, walnuts, and shallots in large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper.

Mound salad in center of each plate. Drizzle balsamic syrup around salads. Sprinkle remaining cheese atop salads.
6 to 8 servings

Source Epicurious

7 comments:

pve design said...

Lovely Summer photo! We are truly blessed to have such wonderful Fathers and men in our lives.
Wishing you a splendid Sunday!
That salad sounds divine.
pve

Dad said...

Thank you, what a nice post. The photo looks just like me!
Dad

Shani said...

Great photo, and the salad sounds delicious. Have a wonderful day and safe travels on your trip over!

Kelsey B. said...

Great photo! Great salad idea, too. Have a great father's day with your family!

georgia b. said...

what a thoughtful post. glad i stopped by here.

xo
jorjah-b

Kwana said...

Thanks for he recipe and Happy Father's Day to your guys.

Sarah Engel said...

that is really cute that you're dad commented:) i love this recipe, i have been into arugula summery salads.