Sunday, October 26

Soup on Sunday: Porcini Mushroom & Barley

Poem by Carl Sandburg

1 package of dried porcini mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, minced
1/4 cup parsley
3 carrot, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound fresh porcini mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon flour
2 quarts vegetable stock
1 cup whole barley
2 teaspoons salt

Soak the mushrooms in hot water (enough to cover) for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms from water. Strain water through a filter to remove grit. Reserve the water and coarsely chop the dried mushrooms.

Melt the butter in a stockpot and sauté the onion, carrot, garlic, and fresh mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat and add the flour, stirring for about 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the broth and mushroom water.

Turn the heat to high and add the barley. Stir well and add salt to taste. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for about an hour or until the barley is tender and the soup is thickened, stirring often. Add chopped parsley, mix thoroughly, and adjust seasonings.

Serves 4 - 6

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen a lot of recipes with mushrooms that call for soaking them in sherry...will that work in this, or would the sherry be out of place in this recipe?

ALL THE BEST said...

Funny, I was thinking Sherry would be go in the soup after I made it, great minds. I think it would be yummy!

Karena said...

Mmmmm, sounds so good. I just made my Mother's award winning apple dumplings. Great fare for this time of year.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I love this poem--and the soup sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love that poem!

Two Tall Girls said...

We are to have our first rain this week. I think this soup would be perfect for that rainy day.

72 and sunny said...

oh, yum on the soup!!!