Wednesday, October 7

Dinner at Dawnridge

A few weeks ago I received an email from my friend Michael Billings asking if I would like to have dinner at Dawnridge with Ruth and Hutton Wilkinson. Immediately my heart began racing and my hands shaking as I typed my reply, “I would LOVE to have dinner at Dawnridge!” The email was followed by a loud shriek that sent my husband running into our lounge.

What I love about blogging is the thousands of like minded ‘friends’ who share a small part of your world, and at times, in your excitement. I have been bursting to share my news with all you for days. However, afraid I might jinx myself, I kept it quiet. Finally the day arrived (after a 13 hour flight) and I was a guest at Dawnridge last evening.

It is almost impossible to describe the splendor that looms behind the large front door. I was seriously breathless as I stood in the famed 18-foot high drawing room. The entire house was aglow with candlelight. I found it wonderfully overwhelming as I tried to focus, but with so much beauty fighting for my attention it was difficult. I felt like Alice after stepping through the looking glass.

Like his mentor and friend Toy Duquette, Hutton is very much a Renaissance man. Before dinner Ruth and Hutton lead us on a tour of the exotic grounds and gardens. To actually see the pavilions, pagodas, sculptures and Tony Duquette's 28' tall sculpture The Phoenix Rising from Its Flame, amidst a jungle-like rain forest, is spectacular.

Ruth is such a beautiful woman and Hutton is mesmerizing. To be seated next to him at dinner and listen to stories of Tony and Elsie de Wolfe was priceless. Many thanks to Hutton and Ruth for a lovely and unforgettable evening. Sometimes dreams really do come true.



















28 comments:

Anne said...

What a wonderful night it must have been. So happy for you Ronda.

Angie Muresan said...

Gorgeous photos! Wow! You have a fabulous life Ronda.

ALL THE BEST said...

Angie, I have truly been blessed. But most days, my life is pretty normal!
Best,
Ronda
xoxo

christopher j said...

Glad you had such a fantastic time!

Scot Meacham Wood said...

Oooooo - it looks almost too overwhelming . . . lol. What an amazing experience!

Unknown said...

What an incredible experience, Ronda! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Jay said...

AMAZING!

GloucesterMary said...

Hi Ronda...'tis an amazingly small world! Years ago my godmother Jean Howard took me to dinner with the Wilkersons. They had a glorious paisley table cloth on their round dining room table...and delish chicken curry with all the proper condiments. I was too young to notice anything else. And PLEASE send my best to Michael Billings!!! Have you seen his home yet (FABULOUS) or met his King Charles Spaniel(ADORABLE)?
Have a great time in NYC and LA.
All the best,
Mary

the.neo.lifestyle said...

Whaw, what a fantastic experience,
I have the Duquette book and i find that place wonderfully, you're really lucky :-)


David,

pve design said...

I love all your surprises! How fabulous! You look thrilled, like a kid in a candy shop!
pve

C. Anne said...

What opulent splendour, I'm sure the meal was equally magnificent!

ALL THE BEST said...

Mary I saw his house and the adorable dog last night!! Fab!!!! I also saw a few of your father's photos. To see Slim's work in person was a real thrill!

ALL THE BEST said...

I felt like on Patricia! :-)

Kwana said...

Wow! It's other worldly. I'm glad you had a wonderful time.

Unknown said...

What an amazing opportunity, you must have been beside yourself!!! I'm so jealous... Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your evening and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! My boyfriend and I met Hutton and Ruth at a Christmas party last year. I told him his book was on my Xmas list. Then he proceeded to tell me to give him a call when I did have it so that I could come over to his house and he could sign it! I nearly fell over into the dessert tray! He was absolutely intriguing and so gracious! Our schedules never quite worked out, and I never made it over to visit. :(
I LOVE your pictures! What an amazing experience! See you tomorrow!! :)

The Antiques Diva™ said...

Okay I'm some serious envy of your life at the moment! This my dear is the ultimate in a Diva Experience - so glad you've shared the juicy details and pics. You look stunning by the way,
Toma

Unknown said...

I can imagine your excitment and the pleasures of that evening.
Wonderful, great pictures, it must have been thrilling!
Victoria

Unknown said...

Oh, how lovely for you, it looks fabulous! Love your blog.

I started Workspace Wednesdays, come check it out..
thanks,

Karen

mary said...

Life is so incredibly inter-woven! I have loved Tony Duquette and his amazing creativity for years. Michael Billings has been a client and great friend for years also..... Michael is an amazing guy and dear caring friend; so I know that you had a fantastic time.

home before dark said...

Just started reading More Is More. I am stunned by the writing. I knew the pictures would be great. But Tony Duquette's lecture at UCLA in 1971 is mesmerizing. What a wonderful experience for you to be at Dawnridge with Wilkinsons who look like they have successfully channeled Tony and Beegle. Such an amazing place!

Style Court said...

Ronda,

What a wonderful experience! Your detailed pictures are a delight to see. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Courtney

Style Court said...

Ronda,

What an amazing experience! How fun. Your detailed pictures are a delight. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Courtney

red ticking said...

FABULOUS.... AMAZING...WONDERFUL... GLORIOUS...
xx pam

Susan Dench said...

Wow, Ronda, what a fabulous opportunity - I want to move in!

72 and sunny said...

sort of dying over this right now. Wow. It's dream like.

ALL THE BEST said...

Megan it was magical!! So happy to have met in person!

Penelope Bianchi said...

Hutton and Ruthie are the most wonderful and warm people!
I was so lucky to know them; as well as Tony and Beegle!

They are my friends and I have treasured them since the day I met them!
Hutton's NEW book is even better (such a thing I would have thought not posssible!) than the first one. The new one is totally personal. It describes a life with Tony and Beegle that Hutton and Ruthie lived; and they savored every moment! (It was not always easy...which they would never say!)

Astounding and astonishing. And every word true. I saw it. And I was very lucky to be involved in a small part of it. It was all magic!

That was true "MAGIC"!!
some people say the internet is magic. no.

Tony Duquette and the life he led with those all around him.....now; that WAS MAGIC!

Penelope