Sunday, January 17

Soup on Sunday: Lemon, Spinach and Lentil Soup


I adore spinach and lentils! I make this soup for lunch at least once a week. Not only is it easy, but also it is healthy.  It’s the ultimate comfort food in my book!

1-2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 cups dried red lentils (brown can be used as well)
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 litres vegetable stock
1 bunch baby spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
1 lemon juiced
finely grated lemon zest to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Add carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add lentils and stock. Bring to the boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat. Add spinach, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Ladle into bowls. Top with lemon zest.  Serves 6

19 comments:

mary said...

Your lentil soup sounds yummy. I make several different kinds of lentil soup--am going to try this one next. Have a great Sunday.

Jaime Rogers said...

Yum, that sounds delicious, a nice twist on lentils (which I make nearly every week!). Thanks so much for the photo, your little one is too cute!

Best,
Jaime

Living It At Home said...

I am definately going to make this. I have been in a stew and soup mood all this winter. It has been freezing here in MA!

Thanks for the recipe!

~jamilyn

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Yummy! Thanks for this recipe. I am going to try it. Great for a wintery day!

xo,
cristin

Anonymous said...

The other day I put a little left over wild rice in my lentils. It was AMAZing ... Thanks for the great recipe!

Jeanne Henriques said...

Ronda, this looks delicious. In my mind you can never have enough lentil soup recipes, brown, green, red...I will take them all!
Jeanne :)

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks everyone! This one is really yummy!

Jeanne I agree!

Awww...thanks Jamie!

sophiedahydesigns said...

I think you must love soup as much as I! The best lentil soup I ever had was at the little lunch cafe at Bergdorf's in NYC YEARS ago. I think it had Black Forest ham in it (Not as healthy as yours!), and I think about it every winter> I am going to try yours, though. Sounds Yummy!

La Petite Gallery said...

my Daughter loves this, Yummy.
I'll try it. Thanks

yvonne

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

Best combo ever - Yum!

I need to try this recipe soon.

Gwen Driscoll said...

Ronda,

Looks delicious. I'll have to try it. Have a great week.

starcakeastrology.blogspot.com said...

i'm going to make this soup ASAP!

Karena said...

Ronda, this is a winner, how delish!!

Belle on Heels said...

all of your soup recipes always look so divine! i can't wait to try this one.

Things That Inspire said...

I made this for dinner as my husband is out of town, and I like to do vegetarian when it is just the kids and me.

IT IS DELICIOUS! Absolutely divine! We had it with crusty freshly baked sourdough bread from the bakery.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks everyone! I love, love, love this soup!!

Molly Frey Design said...

I made this last night and had to come back to tell you how delicious it is. Thanks for a great new recipe!

Carla said...

I've always loved your blog and particularly your recipes. I just made this this evening--it's absolutely delicious--thank you for posting it!

Fifa said...

Made this tonight, without the zest since god knows what my lemon was sprayed with :) turned out to be a tasty+filling meal! Good mix of simple ingredients, thanks for sharing.