Monday, January 12

Christopher Wood

It's most ironic that over the weekend I pulled photos from a March 2007 British House & Garden that featured the Gothic Revival schoolhouse in Somerset belonging to flamboyant art dealer Christopher Wood. As I went online to get his website address I found an obituary from yesterday's Times for Mr Wood.

He died of cancer on January 6, 2009. As a tribute to this fascinating auctioneer, art dealer and author who devoted his career to promoting the arts and artists of the Victorian period, I thought I would share photos of his home.

As well as dealing, he was a collector of drawings, Gothic furniture and pots by De Morgan, Moorcroft, Della Robbia and Dresser. “If something in the gallery does not sell, I simply take it home,” he often commented. In 1983 Mr Wood bought the Gothic Revival schoolhouse and furnished it with his customary elegance.

He took particular pains to promote Victorian watercolours, helping to bring back to prominence such artists as Helen Allingham, Albert Godwin, the Fraser family, and the late 19th-century garden painters sometimes derisively dismissed as “the Jolly Hollyhocks School”. You can read more about the beguiling life of Christopher Wood at the TimesOnline.

9 comments:

Dallas Shaw said...

love the windows and curtains in the last shot

dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

Pigtown*Design said...

I love reading these obits. They're like mini-biographies, and always so well-written.

Karena said...

An astounding home and collection! I love the 1st photo with all of the light streaming in.

###### said...

The black and white ceiling is beautiful to me.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I do so hate to hear this. I've got his books in my library and was fortunate to hear him speak several years ago. He shall be missed.

Kwana said...

What a beautiful home. I'm sure he will be missed.

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

These images are lovely and i can easily imagine a fireplace..with lots of great stories!

alice said...

Fascinating building and man, sorry to hear of his passing.

The windows and doors are amazing.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

How serendipitous and eerie that you were thinking of him. What wonderful style he had -- with a house like that, he must have been a very interesting man.