Sunday, January 11

Soup on Sunday: Curried Carrot and Ginger

Tomorrow I am starting Dr. Joshi's 21 day detox diet and need to plan my recipes accordingly. Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds, actually you can eat quite well. The most difficult aspect of the detox will be no caffeine or alcohol; however, in my opinion, the food options are delicious. Here is one of the yummy soups that I will have the pleasure of eating this week. Detox or not, I think it's one most people will enjoy.

1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (preferably Madras)
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
5 cups vegetable broth
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Plain yogurt (for garnish)

Grind coriander and mustard seeds in spice mill to fine powder. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground seeds and curry powder; stir 1 minute. Add ginger; stir 1 minute. Add next 3 ingredients. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 5 cups broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.

Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with plain yogurt.

13 comments:

Debra said...

Your detox sounds intriguing- and if all of the meals are as good as this soup sounds- I'm in! Along with ridding our homes of a bit of post-holiday clutter- many of us want to detox or declutter ourselves from some of those holiday indulgences. Did you say- No wine for 21 days???

ALL THE BEST said...

Yes, no wine, beer or bubbly! I know...that's the hard part. I LOVE my wine! However, you can (in moderation) have vodka or gin. Dr Joshi recommends cosmopolitans because of the cranberry juice.

Maria Killam said...

No coffee is always the worst because of the withdrawal headache! I give it up for you for going on a cleanse. Your body will thank you.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks Colour me happy! I do hope so!

vicki archer said...

This soup sounds delicious and I shall definitely make it this week. Good luck with the detox, xv.

La Maison Fou said...

I have actually done this before, it is a great way to get feeling good! I love soups so it was a good menu for me. I am vowing to drink more water and get back to daily yoga.
Good luck!
Leslie
lamaisonfou.blogspot.com

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks Vicki and Leslie!

Renée Finberg said...

geeez,

you sound like a good cook.

i love carrots , ginger, and everything else in this recipe.

yummy

if the detox works and is not to difficult, i would do it.

xxx thanks for all you do

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks Renee - I try! I will keep you posted on the progress!
Best,
Ronda
xoxo

pve design said...

Ronda,
Good for you to treat yourself to a de-tox. It is so wonderful for your health, your skin, your mind. Take time to keep a journal and note the changes you will feel. I did a cleanse - no caffeine, no wine and mostly all fresh veggies in juice which I juiced. What I thought would be a challenge proved to be simple and provided clarity too. Ready for trying this one, let us know how you find it. I know it will be great.
Patricia

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Ronda~ ~
A cleanse is a great way to start the new year! Often it's helpful to look at the process as an adventure instead of depriving yourself of things you love. Think about how great you'll feel by the end of the 21 days.

pve design said...

Ronda,
I made this soup and it is so fragrant and tasty.
thank-you for sharing the recipe.
Patricia

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

I've always wanted to do Dr. Joshi's detox. I've done the Master Cleanse 6 times, and the last time was one too many(!), so I'm searching for a new one. Will you let us know how it goes?? And good luck!