Friday, December 7

Sterling Silver


Our eclectic collection of family silver that needs polishing!

At this time of the year I tend to start using the sterling that has been hiding in the drawers for several month, looking dark and much neglected. I love sterling silver, especially cutlery, even though I only use it 8-10 times a year. Whenever I do pull it out and polish away the tarnish I think of my childhood friend whose mother used her sterling everyday. We always ate our Cheerios using well worn Repousse spoons. It felt so grownup, even though it always left a funny metallic taste in my mouth.

My husband's family were quite the collectors (or pack rats depending on who you ask) and we have inherited an eclectic collection over the years. Once again it's time to bring these much loved utensils back to life. We are having friends for dinner tomorrow so you can guess what I will be doing today. As you can see from the photos above there is much work to be done.


If you are a lover of sterling and you're in London you must visit The Silver Vaults. Hidden away behind large safe doors, the London Silver Vaults house a seemingly endless number of silverware dealers.

The Chancery Lane Safe Deposit, as it was formerly know, opened in 1876, renting rooms mainly to London's wealthy elite in order to safeguard their household silver, jewelery and personal documents.

The business remained the same for several years, but with many of the original clientele being replaced by silver dealers who required secure premises for their valuable stock. This need was made more pressing by the outbreak of the Second World War.

As knowledge of the Vaults began to spread, it became a "must" for visitors from overseas seeking quality silver at competitive prices. The rapid expansion of this business led to more dealers renting a room within the now world-renowned London Silver Vaults. It has been in its present format since 1953 and is still the place to shop for fine silver.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy polishing! i need to do the same!!!

The Peak of Chic said...

Am I the only one who kind of likes to polish silver??? Have fun at your dinner party!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I use my sterling silver every day. Even though it takes a lot more work getting it shined up for special occasions, it makes me feel good to enjoy this everyday luxury.

TIG said...

Great collection, especially that monogrammed tea service. Have a great dinner party!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

I, too, use the sterling every day. I just keep the polish by the sink. The thrifty Mrs. E and I collected the "party" silver at antique shows -- for roughly $4/piece. The pattern has recently been re-released; a complete place setting runs in excess of $400.

Sure the monograms don't match. But our kids are learning the alphabet now...

Wonderful site, thanks. Have a great time at your party watching all that sparkling silverware reflect the candlelight.

Happy Holidays.

katiedid said...

I love silver! I have quite an inherited collection as well, and there is something very satisfying about polishing it. I am getting ready to polish the big punch bowl for Christmas. Candleabras are always in use as well as some sailing trophies of my Dad's.

Ronda- your collection is beautiful! I especially like the tea service peices!

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks for all of the great comments! I think the general consensus is daily use of my silver.

Jennifer I actually like polishing too!! Guess I should do it more often!

Thanks {this is glamorous}!!

ALL THE BEST said...

Easy and Elegant Life…I just LOVE your blog!! Thanks for the comments! None of my monograms match either…makes them more charming!

Thanks Katie! The tea service belonged to my husband’s grandmother…it's my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I just love the box of silver! Mine was much the same way until my husband sat me, and the box, down with a big bottle of polish. Together we did the whole box and afterwards he showed me a trick. Place the silver in a zip lock bag, make sure all of the air is out, and seal! Much to my surprise, a few months later the silver looked fabulous for my birthday and I didn't have to do anything to it! Happy polishing~

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks EllaMae!!!

Suzy said...

I'll definitely have to put that on my growing list of places to see on my next trip to London!

cotedetexas said...

Ella Mae stole my thunder! You don't have to polish if you store your silver properly in sealed plastic backs or even big trash bags for big pieces. Ronda - I'm dying thinking of your having to polish all that. Think plastic and black cloth! Great post!
Joni

Style Court said...

I use mine everyday too (mainly because it's all I have to eat with!) and it seems to keep the utensils from tarnishing.

Ronda, I see some really pretty patterns in your mix :)