Thursday, January 31

L'Hôtel




Our first night in Paris we had drinks at the famed L'Hôtel located on the rue des Beaux-Arts in the 6th arrondissement. It was at this Paris establishment, while lying on his deathbed, Oscar Wilde exclaimed: 'My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us must go.' When he realized it would be him, he concluded: 'I suppose I shall have to die above my means.' The rates are still quite superior but the atmosphere of L'Hôtel is enchanting.

The 20 guestrooms, each with its own unique character and designed by the fashionable interior designer Jacques Garcia, are centered around an impressive atrium that rises up through all six floors.

The hotel's bar is overflowing with plush velvet chairs, original Cocteau drawings and handwritten letters from Oscar Wilde. We sat in a dark, quite corner that was both intimate and discrete. But perhaps the most surprising feature of the hotel is the steam room and swimming pool in the cellar—an unheard of luxury in the 6th where space is at a premium. In keeping with the general air of privacy, only two people are allowed at one time and staff will surround the pool with candles on request. Very romantic!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh - I didn't realise it had a public bar - we must pop down sometime (we live not far away in the 5th). Thank you for telling us about it!

ALL THE BEST said...

Passementerie you must!! It's so wonderful!!

Mary-Laure said...

I can't believe I've lived in Paris all these years and I've never been there. Shame on me, an Oscar Wilde fan with that...
Thanks for the address, I'll make sure to go some time.

ALL THE BEST said...

You will have to go Mary-Laure! Maybe we can meet there for a drink this summer.

pve design said...

sounds heavenly!

diana murphy said...

That staircase is mesmerizing. And I'm cutting and pasting the Wilde quote. So fine. On your next weekend getaway, you must STAY there, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

I think I will have to memorize the Oscar Wild quote, and use it myself! What a wonderful place.

Anonymous said...

I stayed a week at L'Hotel recently and it was heaven. An drink in the cozy library or outdoor patio followed by a dip in the private mineral spa and steam room are the absolute best way to recharge for dinner after a day of exploring the city by foot.

design dna said...

beautiful photographs ronda. is this the hotel with the metal ram's head sign out front? i think i took a photograph of it when we walked by... i should have stepped inside!!

i'm so glad your trip was grand. you are doing a tremendous job with your blog. i know that book is not far behind.

London Calling said...

Sounds devine!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

With your final paragraph, you may have just defined "true luxury" for me.

I will now be thoroughly out of sorts with any hotel that doesn't surround my private pool with candles for my late night bathe.

Suzy said...

Sounds amazing...will have to put that on the list for my next visit!

girl meets glamour said...

L'Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend :)

~Kate

katiedid said...

Hhhmmm...something to look forward to when planning our trip in '09. Sigh...seems so far away. I hope I can pick your brain as the time gets closer! :)

C+SK said...

Ohh what a dreamy place!
I haven't been to Paris in 7 years - maybe this is the time to go back! Thank you for the tips! :-)

TIG said...

Sounds perfectly heavenly and I loved the Oscar Wilde prelude. Private swimming by candlelight? Where have I been for your Paris posts?