Sunday, January 18

Soup on Sunday: Red Lentil Coriander Soup


So far Dr. Joshi's 21 day detox diet has gone fairly well. By far, the hardest aspect of the detox has been eliminating caffeine from my diet. I have been really irritable for the past few days! I had NO idea how much I LOVE my morning coffee. I really should take this opportunity to apologize to my sweet husband, he has patiently put up with my short-temperedness during the initial phase. However, I can report that the cravings have now begun to subside and I actually enjoy the hot water and lemon each morning. As for today I am looking forward to this yummy soup. Enjoy.

1/2 cup (approx.100 grams) red lentils, picked over and washed
7 cups vegetable stock
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
6 carrots, diced
1/4 cup packed fresh coriander sprigs, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped scallion greens
cayenne to taste
sea salt
ground black pepper
fresh coriander sprigs

In a 4-quart saucepan heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add carrots, ground coriander, cumin, and turmeric and sauté until carrots have softened. Pour in vegetable stock and lentils. Bring to a boil; skim any froth and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes.

Stir in coriander, scallion greens, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer an additional 10 minutes or until lentils are cooked. Serve soup garnished with coriander sprigs.

Serves 4

Soup Update:
We just made this soup for lunch - very yummy! We tried an experiment with one bowl. We pureed it until smooth and added lemon juice. It was delicious! If I were doing this with the whole pot, I would use less broth (6 cups) and more lentils (3/4 cup or more depending on how thick you like your soup). Depending on your taste add the juice of 1-2 lemons.

9 comments:

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Thank you for the soup recipe. It sounds yummy.
You may want to stop by and join my Bloggers Soup Swap. We will be collecting lots of soup recipes. Should get all of us through the rest of the winter.

Audrey said...

Anything but the coffee! Notice how I am your only comment! I can't wait to hear how much weight you are losing! You are a brave woman!

Laura said...

I absolutely adore red lentil soup. I make it with onion, garlic, aleppo pepper (a mildly hot turkish pepper) and dried mint. Delicious!

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks for the soup swap info!
Best,
Ronda

ALL THE BEST said...

Laura,
Your version sounds wonderful!!

Karena said...

Ronda, I really admire your efforts and commtiment to this ! I am now eating beter, more fruits and veggies,etc. Not doing your diet though!

Suzy said...

Sounds very similar to a lentil and carrot soup I made recently...it was yum!

Lily Goodwin said...

It's a great soup for the cold days. May i suggest another ingredient I always use on this recipe? Grilled red sweet peppers, chopped.
Take care!!!

pve design said...

Ronda,
Warning - when you are permitted to drink coffee, please tell me how your taste buds react. In the meantime, keep that husband of yours!
pve