Sunday, February 15

Oyster and Brie Champagne Soup

In honor of Valentine's I thought I would share this amazing recipe from Paula Deen. It reminds me of a Champagne scallop soup my husband and I had many, many years ago at Market Fare Restaurant (now Carr's) in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I have tried many times to find a similar recipe, but to no avail. This one however is pretty terrific. Bon Appétit!

1/2 stick butter
1 large shallot, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups fish stock or clam juice
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 pounds ripe Brie cheese, rind removed and cut up
1 bunch chives, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Champagne
2 dozen fresh oysters

Directions
Melt butter over low heat. Add shallots and red pepper flakes and sauté until softened. Sprinkle in flour and cook until lightly colored, roughly 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the stock and cream. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; reduce to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the Brie, chives, salt and pepper, to taste, and stir until melted. Add Champagne. Add the oysters and cook for 3 minutes.

6 servings

6 comments:

City Living Girl said...

I had oysters last and champagne last night too....but this soup sounds incredibly delicious...must try. Thx.

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful, but I'm not sure I could waste a good cup of champagne in a soup. Think I'd drink it before before I had the chance to put it in to the pot. But the recipe does look yummy.

Suzy said...

OMG that sounds amazing!!

pve design said...

Month's with 'r's are my favorite - lots of oysters - This soup makes me want a big fabulous bowl now!

Ms. Katee/e-polishblog said...

mmmm that sounds soooo good!

Sarah Engel said...

This sounds amazing, i can't wait to try it!! Oysters and cheese are such a great combo;)