Tuesday, February 10

Profile: Tobi Fairley

I have a new girl crush. I know that several bloggers have cued in on Little Rock designer Tobi Fairley lately, and it’s not without good reason. I am here to tell you, she is fabulous, charming and quite talented. From the moment we began speaking by phone, I had a feeling that we would be come fast friends. Of course, her Southern upbringing and accent endeared her to me right away.

I love her take on traditional decor. Tobi’s rooms are grounded in the classics, but mixed with bold patterns, modern art and unexpected pops of color. Tobi’s work has been praised by Traditional Home and she is the recipient of 7 Gold awards from the American Society of Interior Designers.

Not only is she a talented designer, she is hostess extraordinaire—just look at some of her blog posts. Tobi has invited me to Little Rock and I am working to plan a summer visit. I look forward to being the recipient of her gracious hospitality.

As an aside, I had no idea that Tobi was going to post on my friend Michael Devine yesterday, and mention All the Best, as I started writing this post. Serendipity is wonderful!

How would you describe your personal style?
Feminine Innovative. My style is certainly rooted in classic elements but new and fresh. And certainly, I am a girly girl!


What is your most prized possession?

Well since my darling husband and daughter aren't really possessions, I would have to say my home. A lot of love and energy has been poured into creating a backdrop for our life.


What is the one thing in life you cannot live without?

I would have to say books, though fresh flowers and Jimmy Choo's are a close second (and third I guess!)


Who are your style icons?
Grace Kelly, Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, Coco Channel, Barbara Barry.


Who would you most like to collaborate with on a project?
Probably Carolyne Roehm, we could throw a grand soiree!!!


Which design books to you consider a must?
Jamie Drake, Kelly Werstler's Modern Glamour, Celerie Kemble, anything and everything by Carolyne Roehm, and Charles Faudre's Interiors…well really all his books!


What is your favorite luxury in life?

Private yoga sessions twice weekly with my teacher Holly, she is my yogi and my therapist all wrapped into one!



What is your idea of earthly happiness?
I am pretty close to it if not already there! I have my dream job and my dream family so all is right with the world!


How do you see the current economy shaping design trends in 2009?

I think the design business will never be the same after all that has happened with our country financially. I think that High-end design is certainly the place to be but even there I think the client is going to expect "extreme" service from this point forward.

I think everything will be value-driven and I don’t think clients will be willing to pay top dollar anymore without feeling they get more than their money's worth with both quality and service.

So the change for the interior designer is that it will take a lot more time and energy to take care of our clients than it ever has before!!


Past or present what designers have most influenced your style?
Jamie Drake, David Hicks, Tricia Guild, Dorothy Draper

16 comments:

Renée Finberg said...

what an on target post !

i agree with you 100%.
( scary isn't it ? )

i am crazy in love with the black and white paper-

xx renee

ALL THE BEST said...

Renne I went nuts for that wallpaper the moment I found Tobi's website!

Anonymous said...

Ronda I will second your new crush! Tobi is great.
Anne

LindsB said...

I have a girl crush too, I discovered her blog a few weeks ago and have been in love ever since! She does amazing work. I love this interview, what a great way to get to know her a little better- thanks!!

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks Anne and lindsB...looks as if I am in good company!

Michelle said...

I better go check out her work; Jackie at Jackie Blue Home also posted about her.

Love the large scale art.

Unknown said...

What an insightful post. I just love her style! The "green"room in her house is so beautiful. The black and white wallpaper is gorgeous, too.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thank you Paloma! I love the 'green' room too! So happy and cheerful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Yep, that wallpaper is awesome!

Karena said...

She is lovely and very talented. I love the yellow/ black abstract artwork above! It really makes the room!

Karena said...

She is lovely and very talented. I love the yellow/ black abstract artwork above! It really makes the room!

The Blushing Hostess said...

I noticed the green room in HB and loved it - I wondered why it had not appeared on absolutely every blog everywhere already, glad to see someone giving it due weight - but for mirror which I find overwhelming and kind of a question-mark in my perception of the space and its ease on the eye -I love this room and wish it lived in my home. I hope to see more from Tobi...

simply seleta said...

Bravo, bravo! I always love these posts! And Tobi is fab.

xoxo

Visual Vamp said...

Oooo "She's just a little girl from Little Rock..." to paraphrase the song from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"

Just fab! So very Palm Beach.

Love the green print wing chairs.
xo xo

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Excellent interview. I think that your questions might be a good starting point for anyone looking to work with a decorator.

Ms Fairley would have had me at"
"Who are your style icons?
Grace Kelly, Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, Coco Channel, Barbara Barry."

Bon voyage.

Anonymous said...

I love everything about it! This is the reason why I am taking up interior designing.

Thank you for the inspiration.