Sunday, February 22

Soup on Sunday: Hot and Sour Soup


I love hot and sour soup! And yet, until just this weekend, I have never even considered making it at home. It's actually fairly simple and quite delicious. The 'carryout' Odd Balls invitation, hinged high gloss silver fortune cookies from Sea and Jae and a few good friends are all that you need for a perfect little party. Well...maybe a few glasses of wine too.

4 oz dried shitake mushrooms
12 small dried tree ear mushrooms
1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons sesame oil
4 cups vegetable stock
4 oz firm tofu, drained, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
2 eggs
1 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
4 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced

In a large bowl soak shitake and tree ear mushrooms in enough boiling water to cover mushrooms, turning occasionally, until softened, about 30 minutes (tree ears will expand). Remove from bowl, squeeze excess liquid (reserving the liquid), cut into bite-size pieces. Stir 1/4 cup mushroom liquid with cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.

Stir together vinegars, soy sauces, sugar, and salt in small bowl.

Heat a wok over high heat, add sesame oil coating the sides of the wok. Stir-fry mushrooms and bamboo shoots for 1-2 minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil, add tofu. Keeping a gentle boil add vinegar mixture. Slowly stir in cornstarch mixture (broth will thicken) and reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.

Beat eggs in a separate bowl and add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. In a slow, thin stream, add eggs stirring in one direction. Add in white pepper and scallions. Serve right away.

Serves 4 as a meal or 6 as a starter.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds great. wish i were enjoying your soup with you.

ALL THE BEST said...

Me too! Love to you and the wee one.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...Ronda we are kindred spirits...I too love authentic hot and sour soup...and gosh if I'd known about "odd balls" around the holidays, it would have made the perfect gift for a dear friend of mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Kim

jae said...

Ronda,
The hot and sour soup sounds delicious and I will be trying it soon. Making it relevant with the fortune cookies is the perfect touch. I'm honored and touched that you mentioned me. Now I feel like the fortunate one. Thank you!
Jae

pve design said...

I want to know if you really make and consume all these soups. I am preparing and eating more soup, thanks to you. Spoon away! Please address "All The Best" -etiquette of proper soup dining.
pve

The Antiques Diva™ said...

Those silver fortune cookies are to die for!!! They, themselves, are reason for a party! Great tip! Hmm... has Chinese New Year already passed... perhaps a fete is in store for next year!

Laura said...

Oh you are a goddess! I love hot and sour soup but it is nearly impossible to get a good version in restaurants (at least in the parts of NYC chinatown I know of). Time to take matters into my own hands, and now with this recipe I really can!

Karena said...

Ronda, The Silver Fortune Cookies, invitation and your soup make a wonderful combination!

Killer B said...

Your photos are beautiful and I am really enjoying your blog.

Great work!!!

:D

STYLE RUMORS said...

Hello ,I nominated you for a Blog Award. Go check out your nomination on my Blog. Great Blog! :)

Kwana said...

Thanks for the recipe. Love that silver wanton!

My Galveston Cottage said...

I'm going to try this recipe. I love soup! Sounds de-lish
Thanks. cheers -s