Wednesday, March 12

London Photo Tour

Chihuly's enormous glass Chandelier under the dome of the main rotunda entrance at the Victoria and Albert Museum. Internationally celebrated Seattle artist Dale Chihuly is a by-word for all that is spectacular and exciting in contemporary glass. Much is owed to the grand and historic tradition of Venetian glass, with rich colors and extravagant shapes prevalent in his work.

Dinner at the Running Horse in Mayfair (Monika Biegler Eyers, now the London Contributing Editor for Domino; me; Michael Devine; and my hubby). The gastropub has a great atmosphere, which can be summed up as equal part neighbourhood restaurant and traditional English pub. Excellent food, a cosy atmosphere with an open fire and reasonable prices make it a great little find in Mayfair. According to my husband, the squid is particularly good.

Drinks at the Savile Club in the heart of Mayfair. The club was established in 1868, occupying a beautiful 18th Century house. Champagne is always a great way to start the evening. Michael made the drop and I now own the beautiful Gramercy fabric!

My visit to The Rug Company was one of the highlights of my trip. I have long been a fan of their beautiful rugs, but photos do not do justice to the gorgeous colors and textures. Everyone I met was gracious and very knowledgeable, truly a great group of people.

Fun, fanciful and colorful wall hangings. What sets The Rug Company apart is their Designer Collection by well known designers such as Paul Smith, Diane Von Furstenberg and Allegra Hicks among talented others.

Stunning is the only word to describe the work of artist Ewan Gibbs. Ok, it's not the only word, but it's an apt one nonetheless. My husband and I are both absolutely smitten with his work and the best part is the artist himself. On Monday we meet with Ewan and Joanna Thornberry, Associate Director of The Timothy Taylor Gallery. Afterward we had drinks with Ewan at a local pub. Not only is he hugely talented, but he is a super nice guy.

The Timothy Taylor Gallery opened in 1996. Since opening, the gallery has presented an ambitious programme of exhibitions by internationally recognized contemporary artists from Britain and abroad. The gallery supports and showcases younger less-established artists and is one of the leading venues in London for contemporary art.

Kelly Hoppen's designer emporium on Fulham Road. A great shop with a little bit of everything, including her own medley of ceramics, furniture, and original accessories.

Out and about in South Kensington, sandwiched between the Knightsbridge and Chelsea. Beautiful architecture and fabulous shopping!

Case in point...

Rupert Sanderson started making shoes under his own name in 2002, and now produces two full and two pre season collections a year. Rupert spends four months of the year in Italy refining each shoe with the artisans in and around Bologna, where he designed for Sergio Rossi and Bruno Magli after learning his craft at the Cordwainers College in East London.

We a fantastic dinner our first night in London—a glass of Pol Roger, a bowl of steaming mussels with fennel and spinach in a saffron laced broth and a plate of delicious smoked fishcakes were the main attraction. Tucked away between Fulham Road and Kings Road, The Builders Arms is an attractive Georgian building. The quaint pub features a spacious interior with comfy leather sofas, velvet flock wallpaper, a fireplace and bookshelves.

33 comments:

pve design said...

My virtual senses have traveled vicariously through your brilliant trip to London.

mamacita said...

LOVE your purple tights! You make us proud, Texas girl.

ALL THE BEST said...

I'm so happy! It was a wonderful and very visual trip Patricia!!

ALL THE BEST said...

Thank you Mamacita!!!
You can take the girl out of Texas, but...you know the rest ;-)
xxoo

annechovie said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip, Ronda! Looks like you had a great time. I love London!

Anonymous said...

I love London! I had to work there for 26 days in 1988 and I had a blast. We were way out on the metropolitan line (Harrow on the Hill) but it was a treat on days off to scour the markets and museums.

Dale Chihuly's work is always amazing. One day I will actually get to see the Chihuly Bridge in Tacoma WA. It's a 500' walkway whose roof is filled with his seaforms to simulate a underwater expanse.

This was a great posting, thank you for sharing the pics and your adventures.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I recently saw a chihuly exhibit and was blown away ( no pun intended! ). His work is amazing -beautiful colors.
I always have loved English food, no matter what people say. That last dinner you mentioned made my mouth water!
Looks like you had a GREAT trip!

Alison Duffy said...

What eye candy!! Terrific trip and thanks for the post.

Mary-Laure said...

Great pics, Ronda, thanks! I can't believe you could do SO MUCH in just 1 week end.
And I agree with you: champagne is the best to kick off an evening!

The Peak of Chic said...

Cute photos of all of you...looks like a great time was had by all!

Pink Wallpaper said...

beyond jealous!! to be able to hop over to England and hang out w/ monika and michael...too cool!!

Joanna Goddard said...

looks like an amazing trip. so glad you had a good time xo thanks for sharing!

suzannemarques said...

what a fun trip!!!
i felt like i was on it with you for a moment. such fun, such culture, great friends. what more could you want?

Pigtown*Design said...

Whaaaa! You are making me homesick for being in London. I had a brilliant little hotel just across from the Natural History Museum, so know some of the areas you're talking about. I also have the exact same photo of the Dale Chihuly lighting in the V&A.

I did a post about Kelly Hoppen about a year ago, and no-one seemed to know who she was. I don't think that she's as well-known in the States.

Miss Cavendish said...

When I was last at the V&A, during a summer's travels, there was an outdoor Dale Chihuly sculpture garden. It was exquisite.

Have you seen Bibendum, a good restaurant in an old Art Deco Michelin factory, that's right in that area?

Style Court said...

Thanks for this wonderful tour Ronda! Congrats on your beautiful fabric.

ALL THE BEST said...

It was an AMAZING trip Anne!!

Wow Cindy 26 days!! The bridge sounds wonderful!

Be the Change, I love English food too, no matter what people say either! We really did have a GREAT trip!

ALL THE BEST said...

There is such great eye candy in London House & Life!

There was lots of toing and froing Mary-Laure. My legs were tired by the time we left London. Champagne really is the best!

It was a lot of fun Jennifer!

TIG said...

Such great photos Ronda--gastropubs are always such a fun part of travelling, and it looks like you had the chance to try some great food. So glad you had such a good trip!

C+SK said...

Ohhhhh thank you for such a wonderful mental trip through London! I lived there for 5 years before I moved to the States in 2001 and I miss it everyday!

Please feel free to post photos of London, any time, all the time! ;-)

/// said...

Wow. I am so so so jealous. And gracious; you are a BEAUTY! :)

Kwana said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures. Oh how I wish to be there.

Anonymous said...

Dale did our Christmas/Holiday card one year for work - there was a seriously uprising because everyone thought it looked like frozen snot. We had to get an alternate card.

London Calling said...

Fabulous itinerary! London calls me...but I guess you know that!

ALL THE BEST said...

pink wallpaper it certainly is a perk living in the UK. Monika and Michael are both great people!

You are so right Suzanne!

I thought about you Pigtown!!

Yes miss cavendish, such a neat place. I took a few photos!

ALL THE BEST said...

I LOVE it Courtney!!

I love good gastropubs TIG!!

It really is a great town claudia, hope I am there again soon and can do another post!

ALL THE BEST said...

Thank you design for mankind!! Your check is in the mail!! ;-)

Christmas cards? Hmmmm...I'm trying to imagine it.....

It was a fabulous time londoncalling!!!

cotedetexas said...

That Dale C. chandelier!! omg!!! I can't believe that. You look so pretty here and such impressive company - I'm so proud of you!

Joni

ALL THE BEST said...

Joni it truly is amazing!!! Thanks for your sweet words, you are the best!!

Anonymous said...

La casa encantada de Fulham Road, novela de Jean Ray, serie Harry Dickson

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely photo tour! I lived in Europe for 7 years and traveled all over, but never made it to London! ::sadness::

Alkemie said...

Ronda, Thank you so much for sharing your trip. It looks so wonderful. The chandelier in the first photo is jaw-droppingly amazing and I really liked the photos of you and your friends.

Karen

Paul Pincus said...

The Timothy Taylor Gallery!

The very kind Juliet at TTG has the most wonderful Tiffany Blue (pocket size) catalogue of Drawings by Andy Warhol available. Some Pen and Ink...some done with gold leaf. Not what most people expect when they think of Warhol. The Gallery produces some of the most beautiful catalogues in the world.

Cheers!