Monday, March 24

Mix Master





I have looked at Anthony Todd's work so many times, but for some reason it struck me last night just how brilliant he really is when it comes to mixing styles and periods. His rooms have just the right touch of formality, but are still fun and never fussy. Achieving the right balance means never allowing a room to be come overly mastered, an area where Todd excels.

When done right blending modern pieces with traditional pieces can bring out the best qualities of each, the photos above are perfect examples. Todd perfectly plays with shape and scale mixing Asian, French, English, early-American and custom-made furnishing. Even if you've looked at his work many times before it's worth treating yourself again to a visual delight!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthony Todd is pure genius!

ALL THE BEST said...

Jay I agree 100%!!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I totally agree - he is one of my favorite designers and everytime I come across one of his projects it inevitably ends up in my clipping file!

ALL THE BEST said...

Me too BTC I lots in my clipping file...he just does it so well!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Ronda - Adore Todd. When he was on the cover of ED, I studied and studied that image. The piece of furniture between the windows is so tall - the scale is exactly right for the room, but you don't initially notice how high it is. That's a gift.

Decs said...

I love how chic his rooms always are. I also like that the are really "now." I think there is a lot of retro-worship at the moment... people tripping over themselves to love Parish or Draper or Hicks. That's fine, but it's so great to see rooms from Vicente Wolf or Anthony Todd. Palate cleansers. :)

ALL THE BEST said...

Palate cleansers - great description Decorno!

ALL THE BEST said...

A gift indeed Mrs Blandings. I too have studied and studied his work, it's just so wonderful.

cassandra said...

I love these rooms ~ Anthony Todd is one of those designers that I forget how much I love until I see his work again. Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration!

pve design said...

When I think of you, I think of " Hot
Toddies" and Anthony Todd. He is pure and brilliant - livable and chic!