Friday, March 7

Profile: Thomas Paul


Thomas Paul (Paul is his middle name) is a design genius. I'm simply mad for his vivid designs and playful take on tradition. The vivid colors and unique silhouettes in his collection are not only brilliant, but they are instantly recognizable.

Trained in textile design Thomas Paul got his start in the fashion business working as an intern at DKNY in the mid-nineties after graduating from New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology. It was during this time he also worked as a colorist and designer for a silk mill specializing in neckwear and scarves. Luckily for fans of his homewares this led to the creation of thomaspaul pillow collection launched in 2001. The line has steadily expanded into other categories to include tabletop, stationery, and lampshades.

How would you describe your personal style
?
I would say that I am pretty classic and conservative. I don't really like anything too trendy. Preppy, but a bit off. I like to mix things up with color and pattern.

What is the one thing in life you can’t live without?
My satellite radio.

What books are currently on your bedside table
?
I am currently re-reading American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis. New York, 1980's, I am there.

What inspires your designs and creativity?
It could be anything. Usually it is just a feeling that I have at the moment. Sometimes it comes from fashion, art, or music, but it isn't really something I can explain. One year I am into birds, then it is an obsession with horses, then elephants, right now I am feeling something about chickens. It is difficult to pin down the why of anything I do.


Who would you most like to meet and how would you spend the day?
Well it would probably be someone that I like as an artist, designer, or musician. I don’t think I would actually want meet anyone that I might admire for their work or art. I would be afraid that I might not actually like that person when I met them, so I would not want to taint my impression of their work.

I think that is a bit of an issue today, we know too much information about anyone who creates or acts, or is in the media. There is no mystery and it is difficult to separate the work of that person from their personality, which might not be so nice.

What is your favourite luxury in life?
Living in New York

What is your most prized possession?
It changes, usually it is something that I have just gotten that I am obsessed with, then once I am bored or done with it and then something new comes along, it is the new thing. I try not to get too attached to things anymore, although for some reason things tend to attach themselves to me, I just never seem lose anything-it is a burden sometimes.

What would people be surprised to learn about you
?
That I am a terrible salesperson!

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
Being able to do what I want to, when I want to. So I guess I am in the right profession, as that is the way most days go.

Profile by Ronda Carman

14 comments:

Mary-Laure said...

Brilliant! I especially like the top pic, with the china plates (?) on the wall.

annechovie said...

Great interview, Ronda. I really enjoy Thomas' work, so it was great to learn a little background. Talented guy!

Anonymous said...

I have a HUGE design crush on Thomas Paul!

Anonymous said...

I like his answers and I love his designs. Not to mention he is really cute too.

pve design said...

Why do I like everything about everyone you profile.
They are so unique, so passionate, so clever and so
honest.
Really adore his design ethic and his classic twist to keep things fresh and mod.

ALL THE BEST said...

Kindred spirits Patricia!!

ALL THE BEST said...

Hi Mary-Laure it's melamine. Don't you love it!

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks Anne (annechovie) I love background info!!

I agree Anne (the other Anne) :-)

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Holy yowza! What an interview!!!!! I absolutely adore him and wish I could have every bit of his stuff in our boutique hotel in Marrakech. One day, one day...

Brilliant Asylum said...

Nice catch, Ronda! Thomas Paul is one of the founding reasons I started blogging. I was won over by his pillows that were used in Ivanka Trump's apartment in In Style (along with every other detail). Soon enough I had discovered the world of design blogs and online shopping addictions. Plus, he has one of the more innovative website designs. Great profile!!

Style Court said...

Yes Ronda thanks for sharing this! I agree with Millie about that innovative, stylish website :)

Style Saves the World said...

I adore Thomas Paul!! Thanks for the great interview!

Anna Spiro said...

OMG - I Love his cushions! I bought 2 when I was in Hawaii last year! Such great designs!
XX
Anna

meemo said...

Love the cushions, love the rug, but I think I would like the rug better in brown...or another complementary color...a light blue or something.