Tuesday, March 25

Profile: Daniel Pafford

Daniel Pafford, his assistant Monica Emch and Alfi


I have been anxiously awaiting the April issue of Domino. Of course I was surprised and delighted when it arrived in Scotland earlier than expected. I loved so many of the ten up-and-coming decorators featured last April that I just had to know who would be the new ones to watch in 2008. I for one was not disappointed and I am thrilled to profile several of these great designers on All the Best over the next few weeks.

First up is Daniel Pafford, a former Political Science major and classic movies buff. Inspired by the urban landscape, Daniel moved from Southern Virginia to Manhattan to build a new career. Intrigued by the styles and interiors of such movies as The Women, Dial M for Murder, All About Eve, The Trouble with Harry and North by Northwest, Daniel began his on-the-job-training on the in-store design team at Calypso Home.

It’s was the photos of Daniel's rooms and his love of movies, especially 1940s, 50s and 60s classics, that struck a cord with me. After corresponding, talking over the past few days and seeing more of his work, I am certain he will strike a cord with many others too.


How would you describe your personal style?
Sophisticated and slightly old fashioned, with a little bit of an edge. My interiors are always a little bit of 40’s glamor mixed with 60’s modern and today’s latest fabrics. I enjoy adding controlled bursts of color here and there. In reference to fashion I enjoy a sear suckers suit, but then might wear it with shell toe Adidas.

What is the one thing in life you can’t live without?
My planner and blackberry! If I did not have these two things my days would be a haze of confusion and miscommunication.

What books are currently on your bedside table?
Best American Essays of 2007; The Reason for God; Domino magazine!

What inspires your designs and creativity?
Interiors of classic movies definitely inspire my creativity. I love not only the balance and harmony of the rooms, but the lifestyle. It’s is a most satisfying inspiration for my work. Secondly, it would be random shopping. I could go into 10 different home stores, pick one thing from each store and design a whole room.


Who would you most like to meet and how would you spend the day?
I would love to meet Hillary Clinton. She seems so driven and that just intrigues and inspires me. I would love to have lunch and talk about life and politics. There is something just out of this world about her.

What is your favorite luxury in life?
Being able to sleep until I awake naturally every day. Being in control of my own schedule lets me not book anything before 11:00 a.m. and sometimes noon.

What is your most prized possession?
My pillow collection! I have quite a few and would not trade them for anything. I also have an Hermes watch that I am quite fond of!

Who are your style icons?
Carry Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, William Haines, David Hicks, and Kelly Wearstler.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
My idea of earthly happiness is being in complete control of ones own time. Only when we achieve this can we really be free. It is a daily aspiration for me. Also to be surrounded by beautiful and balanced rooms.

Profile by Ronda Carman

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are good my dear...looking forward to learning more about the other ones as well.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I received my issue in the mail this weekend and was pouring over it last night. I really feel like this guy is great( of course we do, we have so much in common! ). He wants to have lunch with Hillary -i want to have lunch with him!

ALL THE BEST said...

BTC I did the same thing! He really is a great guy and so easy to talk with.

Anonymous said...

I do like his style. Fun post Ronda.

Red River Interiors,LLC said...

Great profile: Love the classic beautiful rooms... Fay

Mary-Laure said...

I just love the picture with that super funny dog. The leash/ribbon is lovely and chic!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great rooms!! I love them all! Hope to see more from Mr Pafford.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks Anne, I like his style too!

Classic and beautiful are always a good combination in my book RRI!

ALL THE BEST said...

Isn't the dog cute Mary-Laure! Maybe he should send Benjy a question :-)

I think we'll see more of his work Jillie!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

eeek, this is all fab. Not only is his work gorgeous but I love his little sense of irony!!

girl meets glamour said...

Great interview, I just love his list of style icons!!

~Kate

Anonymous said...

Great profile! I really adore his style and it was great to learn more about him. Lots of interesting tidbits!

Suzy said...

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive...but in the meantime I'll check out his website!

cassandra said...

Wondeful profile! I loved his answers, especially how he described his style - sounds like me! I can't wait to see more of his interiors... I'm going to pop over to his website right now!

TIG said...

His work is beautiful. I'm in complete agreement about the planner and BlackBerry, and very intrigue about the pillow collection.

lizzy said...

thanks for these profiles, i found that article in domino very interesting so it was nice to see a little more about these two!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

I picked him out of the lineup in Domino as one of my instant favourites, too. And he's from The Commonwealth! Well, it's no wonder his look appeals to me... you can take the boy out of Virginia...

katiedid said...

This is one designer I am going to watch! He is a very stylish guy! BTW I love the dress his assistant is wearing! I can relate to his penchant for being in control of one's own time. What a great way to live life! Bravo. :)