Wednesday, July 25

Pink Wines



Deep in the hearts of most hardened wine lovers lies a passion for pink wines, though it usually doesn't come up for discussion unless the subject is broached in trusted company. Lucky for me I tend not to discriminate when it comes to vino and I am more than happy to try most wines! Having said that I can admit that I did not like pink wines prior to our move to the UK. Yes, I had tried White Zinfandel—not for me.

But, after moving across the pond I reluctantly tried pink wine again, this time a French Tavel. Tavel is the only official appellation in all of France (and probably all of the world) that produces nothing but rosé. Tavel wine is darker in color than the rosé of Provence – somewhere between orange and bright pink – and correspondingly fuller in body and flavor.

After a bottle of Tavel I was hooked. I took a few wine courses and began to read up on these pink varieties. So what did I learn? For starters, most pink wines are considered suitable for picnics and light lunches and unfairly associated with blush Zinfandel. Only rarely will some daring but knowledgeable soul order a bottle of good, dry Spanish rosado, French rosé or Italian rosato to accompany a more elaborate meal.

I am happy to report that I was that daring soul and ordered rosado with every meal while in Spain! Never once was I disappointed. Indeed, these brilliantly hued Spanish jewels, which are unequivocally among the world's best rosé wines, run the spectrum from the palest salmon to deep ruby and offer fresh, clean, aromas of cherry or raspberry. The best Spanish rosados do not possess any of the pronounced bubble-gum scents that characterize many modern rosés.

So, if presented with the opportunity, be rebellious and order a bottle of delicious pink wine with dinner.

9 comments:

Suzy said...

Yum, sounds fabulous! I'll try and hunt down a bottle. Something else I've been enjoying, especially in warmer weather, is sparkling red, like a pinot but with bubbles. I know, its sounds a bit like something your mother - or a 15 yr old - might drink, but its delicious, and works really well with a BBQ.

jac said...

I love pink wines. Tavel is spectacular and I just love how a good Rose pairs with brunch. I am especially excited the fact that now that rose is increasing in popularity, no one is mistakenly thinking that I am drinking white zin. :)

ALL THE BEST said...

Suzy I think it sounds fab!
A bon vivant, thanks for stopping by. Love the prozac jar—I need to get that for my sister

The Peak of Chic said...

Have not had Tavel, but will def. try that soon. I do love sparkling reds- agree with Suzy! Thanks for the tip Ronda!

ALL THE BEST said...

It's such a great wine, I think you will like.

Ashley said...

Sounds delish!

By the way, LOVE LOVE the new layout/graphics!

Anonymous said...

Rosé wines are my wine of choice in summer when I have problems drinking a red wine on a hot summer day.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks Ashely! BTW I love your blog too! I will add it to mine. I am with you Kim. Reds can be tough on a hot day.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree pink wine is absolutely fabulous. Suzy, you might try my friend Norm's new DELICIOUS sparkling Pinot Noir, Goat Bubbles. Norm makes wonderful Pinot in California's Santa Barbara area, and just started making it in bubbly form, which is music to my ears. You can get it here: http://flyinggoatcellars.com/wines/bubbles.html