Sunday, July 22

Pollensa






We are back from a wonderfully relaxing ten-day trip to Spain. I have so many great photos and finds to share this week, but I thought I would start with my favorite, Pollensa.

Pollensa is without any doubt, one of the most beautiful parts of Mallorca. The landscape is so beautiful and diverse. Rugged, steep mountains collide with isolated shores that are surrounded by deep, pale blue waters and silvery green olive trees.

The town of Pollensa is a maze of narrow, winding streets and stone houses built in the 17th and 18th centuries. For the past seven days we were privileged to reside in one of these amazing homes in the heart of old town. Last Sunday morning, we like many others, found ourselves enjoying a leisurely morning in the Placa Major. Placa Major, the central square, is dominated by a large 13th century church Esglesia de Nostra Senyora dels Angels, built by the Templars. Every Sunday a wonderful outdoors market takes over Placa Major with stalls spilling down every available side street. A variety of local crafts, hand-sliced jamon Serrano, olives, and brightly colored vegetables begged to be taken home. And, of course, we were only too happy to indulge. The market is an absolute must, not just for purchases but also as a social activity. Most locals and tourists alike linger for hours in the surrounding cafes.

One of my favorite finds was Berenjenas de almagro (see photo). Berenjenas are tiny stuffed pickled aubergines (baby eggplants) that have been commonly served in Spain for hundreds of years. I have found one online store in the States, La Tienda, that sells Berenjenas. Funny enough La Tienda also sells the exact same traditional yellow mortar and pestle I bought at the local corner market.

I have yet to find an online site for the UK that sells Berenjenas, but I will keep searching!

9 comments:

katiedid said...

Oh, it looks like you had a wonderful trip! The market looks beautiful and delicious. I am going to try out the website you recommended for the Berenjenas. Thanks for the fab photos!

cotedetexas said...

welcome back! Are you going to show pictures of the house? Please do! It all sounds so wonderful. ok- I'm in South Padre Island, the moon would sound wonderful to me! jk. I really love it here, it's just NOT exotic like Spain! Post more about it!!!

Joni

kim. said...

Sounds so amazing I think I'm going to cry (I could SO use a vacation).

Style Court said...

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing a few of your lovely photos with us.

Pigtown*Design said...

Lovely photos. They capture the feeling place. Hope your holiday was wonderful and relaxing. Welcome back!

annechovie said...

Great post and photos! My dad lived in Mallorca for a time when he was younger and he always speaks of the fond memories and the beauty of the place. I really want to visit some time. Thanks also for the very kind comment on my blog!Glad you like my work. Wishing you the very best!

girl meets glamour said...

Sounds like an unforgettable trip!! I bet you could have stayed 10 weeks there. Thanks for sharing your beautiful images :)

~Kate

Anonymous said...

If you're still searching for Berenjenas, have you tried Brindisa? They are usually the most reliable source for Spanish food in London.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks David!!